Thursday, July 19, 2007

War report - the first two weeks

After all this theory I think its time for a report from the war! My initial campaign against laziness was a smashing success! Having the element of surprise I was able to, through a series of blitz attacks, beat the enemy all the way back to the front door. There however he used the old proven technique of distraction (I got a job offer) and used his short respit to fortify himself in my laundrybin. I retreated to deal with the distraction and later returned and launched a massive campaign against him. But by this time he had establiched a strong beachhead in my kitchen from where he is now continously launching guilt and stress attacks against me. Today I launched several succesfull attacks against him and his position is severely weakened but he is still in control of that area. Hopefully tomorrow will bring better luck.

I bet everyone is going "?????" at this. Whenever I look closer at myself I find that I am very contradicting. For example I am very sensitive to clutter. When things are not clean and organised it makes me stressed, it makes me feel down and drains my resolve and strength to do things. On the other hand I am an expert at generating clutter. It comes so natural to me. I bet if there were olympic games in being undiciplined I'd reach a medal position in clutter every time.

Knowing this, one of the bigger changes I made was to make sure my living space was clean and organised. But my laundry gave me some trouble as I couldn't get a laundrytime immediately and other things kept distracting me. I actually bumped it up several days on my list until I figured out that I'd simply plan a time when I would go and book a time in the laundry room. (Not plan a time that I would book the room for, but rather plan a time when I would do the actual booking of the laundry room. I know, its really lame.) Either way by the time I had that done I had started my new job. I now work with logistics and specifically with handling import of cargo from the far east. This requires diciplin and organisation (I know its another contradiction in my life, that I, the guy who cant organise his own life is working with organising import of cargo :P )

Either way this really changed the framework on which I was fighting my war on lazyness. Now I have to deal with actual earned tiredness and having a large chunk of my day taken away from me in the most unflexible of ways. The timeslot in which I can take care of my appartement has shrunk considerably. So I let one of my favorite clutterzones clutter up again. The kitchen. Those who know me also know that at times one shouldn't venture into my kitchen without mountaineering gear :P So I thought I'd deal with it by puting the dishes on my list. Three days later I finaly, reluctantly, actually started doing them. I have gotten most of it out of the way but some remains to taunt me tomorrow. I'm learning first hand the dangers of letting things fester on my list. Everyday that there are unfinished tasks on my list makes my resolve drop. I guess my initial burst of energy has worn of and I now have to reenergise myself every day in order to stay ahead of the lazyness. It is now that I discover if I can stick with it or if its just another halfhearted attempt to change myself on the outside without letting the inside follow. But don't you worry. I have no intention of loosing this war!

Have a great day!

PS. A downside of getting a job this late in the summer is that getting time of becomes impossible. I'm not coming to FestiNord :( But lets not get down over that I wont have my routines interrupted beyond repair by it either :)

No comments: