Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Good Life - Part 1: Introduction

Why do we get up in the morning? Why do we struggle through difficulties and hardships? What is it that motivates us to do things we really don't want to do and to work long hours every day? What gets us to take the risk of investing emotionally in another person? To take loans and buy houses? To give birth to children? The risks involved in all these things should be enough to deter any sane person from even trying. So why do we do it? Could it be that we see something from afar? Something we want to reach?

Some call it happiness, others bliss. To some it is success and to others it is the dream of a better life. In the church we often see it as the reward for faithful service, the result of a life of "doing the right thing". Common to all is that we see it as something in the future, something not quite attainable but that we constantly strive for.

I call it "the Good life" and claim that it is very much attainable in this life. It is very interrelated to the things I've been writing about so far in my blog but in this miniseries I will be looking at it out of a spiritual and philosophical perspective. I call it the good life for several reasons: It signifies that it is not about perfection but rather about constant growth. It means that it's something we can have ongoing in our lives, something we can have more or less now. I also chose it because the term "the good life" has special personal meaning to me that I wont go in to here.

In this miniseries inside my blog I will give you updates from my studies into what "the good life" really is about and how we can have it. But don't worry. I haven't given up the war. It is still raging and I will be posting updates on that as well.

No comments: